Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Africa: Day 16 (Twiddle De Dee)

Well, it's Monday, the 24th of July. Today has been ok so far. I've spent the last 48 hours trying to play catch-up on all the email and project management updates I haven't been able to do while I was away from the Internet for the last week. To make matters more complicated, my personal mail server got updated last night, so when I connected this morning to the internet, all the email I have received since March 13th got sent to me again... WHOA that was fun on a dialup connection. It took me four hours to download all the email and clean the server up, but things are right with my digital world again.

The internet here just "took a dump" about 30 minutes ago. [For those of you who aren't into the IT lingo, that's our technical definition that means "we're down and don't know why."] You see there is a slight difference between taking a "dump" and coming down for maintenance. When we are working on something goes wrong, we call just cover up and say "oh yeah.. that's ok. I'm just performing server maintenance." However, when the janitor down the hall slops a mop bucket on the twenty thousand dollar switch, we call that "taking a dump." (Could I shorten that to a TAD error and coin a new buzzphrase?)

Hey.. the Internet's back up... So, what do we call that process? Server Flush?

Well, the entire reason I took this time to write you was to inform you all that I've fixed the posts that were all screwy and I've resorted my last 15 posts back into the order they were supposed to be. I'll be back later for some real commentary...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a moment to leave a comment! Please keep the language clean. (If you are considering spamming the blog, don't bother. It's going to be deleted anyway.)