I'm only writing this because I think many of us Blackjack users are woefully confused about Syncing the Blackjack to Vista using Windows Mobile 6. Guess what? It CAN be done. And to be sure, I've done it twice, on two different computers using two different phones. I wanted to be double sure before I posted this.
If' you've read the forums on AT&T's web site, you've probably seen the HUNDREDS of posts saying it can't be done. I was skeptical even as recently as this week, but there's quite an easy way to successfully install WM6 on the blackjack and sync using Vista. (If you'll notice, that was TWO separate statements. Read on. I'll explain.)
Steps to Update Your Blackjack to WM6 (no hacks, no cracks. This is the legit way to do it, so don't fret it.)
- Go to Samsung's Web Site and visit the update page on the FAQ. If you don't know were it is:
- You're going to see the following Screen.
Yes, it says THREE different times that the program is NOT compatible with Vista. Read on.
- Quite frankly, I'm not sure why Cingular/AT&T doesn't advertise this fact on their homepage, but here's the catch. The DOWNLOADED UPDATE program is not compatible with vista.... once you've already updated the blackjack, you can Sync with Vista with no problem. You simply can't run the downloader to perform the update from a vista machine. Read on.
- Download the file to hard drive flash, whatever.
- To go a Windows XP box and run it from there. Use a second PC, borrow a friend's PC, etc.
- Since you're going to be launching the program from a Windows XP box, you're going to need to have backed up your phone already. This is going to WIPE EVERYTHING and completely re-flash the bios in your phone.
- The download has 11 pages of instructions. Follow them to the letter. I'd suggest printing them out.
- When you're done, re-sync to a Vista PC and you're fine! All you need XP for is to launch the update program... that's it. The rest is cake.
I was skeptical so I had my partner do his first since his phone wasn't tweaked anywhere near as much as mine was. Now that I've gotten mine updated, I've had major improvements:
- Boots Faster
- Bluetooth is WAY better!
- More Themes
- AT&T Branding replaced Cingular Branding
- TeleNav comes free (requires data package to use it)
- More new improvements all the time.. I just haven't found them all yet.
Anyway, I just wanted to share this with the web community at large. I hope you find it useful.
Please DIGG this article if you find it useful.