Monday, January 16, 2006

Interesting Day

Well, today, for the most part, was a waste as far as productivity is concerned. Who in their right mind brings in their staff on a Federal Holiday? The day, for me however, was not a total loss. I met a very interesting gentleman this morning and ran across an old friend at the same time. I'll introduce all of you to the new gentleman first. Coincidence placed me in the office this morning when a man came in with his computer to have it repaired. Now, those of you who know me are well aware that I traditionally hate fixing PCs, but most of the staff was hitherto invisible and I was downstairs with Comeau; so I decided I'd give it a shot. It's been awhile since I've cracked a keyboard and I thought I'd take a quick peek under the hood to see if I could fix this. Long story short; the PC fix was a click here, a clack there, and was off and on his way. The interesting part came when he was waiting for one of the scans to run. I was making conversation with this fellow, he seemed like the cordial type, only to find that he was an author. Well, imagine my surprise! I love to read books, and he loves to write them. How convenient for me? Well, as the PC job was winding to a close, I told him there there would be no charge for the work because it only took a few minutes to complete. When I took his machine outside to his car for him, he offered me a copy of his book in return for the PC work! I told him I'd only accept the offer if he agreed to autograph them for me. Now, as I sit here, I have not one, but two of his books, graciously signed by him for me today. The event quite made my day. For those of you who might be interested, I took the liberty of looking them up on Amazon and running an ISBN search. If you would like to read more about them yourself, you can find the first one here: Cradle In The Back Of The Hall As I was talking to him, I found out a few things. He's been keeping a journal for almost 30 years, so after he retired, he took all his notes, all his ideas, and all his inspirations and embarked on this journey to write. Personally, I'm the dreamer who has always WANTED to write, but instead usually winds up reading the musings of others. Oh, I almost forgot... silly me. Here's the other book he wrote thus far: Before The Leaves Fall Now, that you have his information at your readily-available-digital fingertips, go get his books and read them. I found it very neat to get to meet ANY author and actually get to relate to him for a few minutes, though I didn't get as much time as I'd have liked. If you do read his books, drop a post on here and let me know what your thoughts are, and make a reader-review on Amazon.com (from the links above). That will help drive other readers to his books. Anyway, this is my little spot for the day. I just thought it was nice to meet someone of his literary talent, and someone local too! Anyway, hope you all have a good night. I'll send him the link to the blog in his email. Maybe he'll drop a line and say hello. Talk to you all soon. [Me]

1 comment:

Thanks for taking a moment to leave a comment! Please keep the language clean. (If you are considering spamming the blog, don't bother. It's going to be deleted anyway.)