Saturday, March 04, 2006

"Scooby" Snack

Ok.. I'm an animal lover, so when I got to Africa and experienced my first fish market, I was inundated with Cats... cats everywhere... tons o' cats. After two days went by, I leaned forward in the car and asked Nizar "Hey, Nizar, where are all the dogs in this country?" He looked back at me and smiled and proceeded to shre a joke with Jimal (our driver whom I dubbed "Earnhardt"). After the joke however, I never got an answer. The next day I did the same thing, but to a different person, with much the same result. Wednesday, our last work day here since Thursday was a national holiday, I asked for something besides those hamburgers they had been bringing us each day. They serve hamburger over here with egg on top and some really spicy sauce that I can't figure out... which makes it too hot for me to enjoy it. So I was very happily surprised when he showed up for lunch with some hamburgers... REAL good smelling hamburgers... with NO egg and NO sauce!! Yeah! Pickles! Mayonaise! (to date, that's still the only mayonaise I've had in this country)! They were a little crunchy but tasted ok compared to the ones we had been having. Later that evening we toured the black market near our hotel. Along our journey, we passed some bakeries, cigarette stores, and other such places. As we neared the butcher stand, I paused to examine the meats on display. Beef was fair abundance.. goat was available, chicken, pigeon, and a few others. Then... on the far right side, hanging by its haunches, I located the source of the burger mix! Dog. Yep.. not labrador.. not retriever... not even thoroughbred collie... nope. Pure African Street Mutt. That's where all the dogs are. Since that night, I've only seen two dogs in the entire country roaming free... and I'd imagine they didn't last long. So, now I can say that I was the first Scooby to TRULY have a "Scooby Snack" Fun huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a moment to leave a comment! Please keep the language clean. (If you are considering spamming the blog, don't bother. It's going to be deleted anyway.)