Monday, March 06, 2006

The ATI Lan Team Heads To More Exotic Destinations!

Well, Doctor Moe came to meet with me last night regarding the progress of our team and the skill level with which we were operating. Naturally, I was extremely nervous about these kinds of meetings. People who don't like you over here can make your life very uncomfortable for the rest of your professional career. The context of the meeting, however, was much better than I expected. He asked me how long I thought specific team members could stay over here if needed and what our commitments were back home. Specifically I am the only one who doesn't have children actually living with me and additionally, I'm not married yet, so my personal commitments are on a smaller scale than some of the others on the team. Most of this is thanks to April who in addition to holding down the fort at home, is also holding down the wives and girlfriend's issues for me. She is acting as the "me" there while I'm gone and making sure all the payroll issues and other issues are handled while we're away. Additionally, I have to thank her... she's holding up personally as well. In fact, though I'm sure I'm missed, she is taking the opportunity to have the time of her life. She has the computers to herself, the condo to herself, and my whole check that I'm not there to spend....(ok.. maybe I'm a little worried about the last part, but not much). She's going out with friends, working when she needs to, just generally living her life, which is what I hoped she would do. We both miss each other horribly, but I don't have to worry that my girlfriend is home crying her eyes out at night and can't act on her own for herself without someone to do things for her. It's a great feeling to know that she handles everything well. Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for that Darling. I digress. The point of this is that Doc asked me if I could stay longer if I needed to. I told him the same thing I've told him since the day I was hired to run this project. "I came to work for you to WORK. If you need something done, I'm your man to do it, whatever it is. If you need a TEAM to do it, we are the best team in the US for what we do." He said "Good, Because I think I'm going to send you on a trip." Apparently the higher-ups here in Libya have been communicating with the people in London who fund this project. London called him last week and told him that they heard he had a "MacGyver" over here that was stirring things up and getting things done. (lol.. I love the association... I always liked that guy!) Anyway, now they have a international project that will take place in multiple countries and they want our team to do it. (Me, Tim, Chris, Desmond, etc.) So, if things go well, I will be working this year in London (which I have ALWAYS wanted to visit), Tunisia, Libyana, Cairo (ANOTHER place I've always wanted to visit), and in New York (which really IS like a country all its own.) So, if we do a good job finishing things here, it looks like I might get to become an international man of travel! Imagine that! lol. So.. that's the update for the time being. Things are otherwise going well, though not to my standards. We are vastly overqualified compared to the local standards, but we are not being able to progress as well as I'd like. Equipment shortages, national customs issues, and other things are slowing things to a snail's pace over here. However, we will persevere. Eventually, we'll have what we need to get things done the right way and then we'll be in motion again. You all know how I hate to sit around and wait... ugh.. drives me crazy. I love you all, miss you all, and REALLY REALLY REALLY want you all to write me on here. This blog is the easiest thing for me to check from over here. Email is a real nightmare. I'll post again soon! "MacGyver"

4 comments:

  1. Hey guys. Glad everything is going well. Knew you would do well, and have a blast. We'll have a big party when you get back. If all goes well, I close on or before March 31st.

    Take care. Keep posting. Pictures are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I'm on google earth. What are you GPS coordinates. Actually email them if you don't want to post them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My only question: when do I get my presents?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tom. I'll keep the pictures coming so you can all stay updated on what's going on.

    As far as the GPS coordinates go, I've translated these to decimal for our purposes over here, but I can get you the figures in Deg, Min, Sec if you need it.

    I am currently residing at 32.82525 North Latitude by 13.13030556 East Longitude.

    Let me know if you can find me with that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a moment to leave a comment! Please keep the language clean. (If you are considering spamming the blog, don't bother. It's going to be deleted anyway.)