Let me begin by saying that Motorola Support said this can’t be done, which I knew had to be incorrect. There’s no way they’d have made a phone to support exchange integration without having the option to add contacts directly from the device.
Problem: You’re an exchange user who relies on your “contacts” for everything but every time you try to add a contact to Android it wants to add it to your phone contact list, which is hardwired on the phone, rather than to your actual exchange server.
- Press Contacts on your Droid X
- Press the menu button (bottom left button)
- Press “More” from the menu.
- Press “Settings” from the menu.
- You’ll be prompted with the “New contacts” screen. This is asking you where you want to store new contacts you type into the phone. Be sure everything is unchecked except your exchange server (corporate directory)
I tried testing it twice after this and both times the new contact I added into my phone appeared online on my exchange server in less than 30 seconds. You can tell it worked because you’ll see a refresh icon (round red animated circle) on your screen and it will flash a message saying “Your changes have been saved.”